Monday, July 25, 2011

Can you hear me now!

I was exercising along the Mississippi River one Sunday afternoon. I walked to my car and a couple had completed their walk as well. We started a conversation and the guy did most of the talking...of course, bragging about his workout routine. He looked like he worked out at one time but not as much lately. After we talked I got in the car. I overheard the woman say to him, "now you can look at that woman and tell she really works so you can stop trying to impress her!"
I was amazed! She couldn't have been talking about me. I am constantly working on my weight and I have a long way to go but the thought that someone really believed I worked out made me feel so healthy! I mean I do workout, almost every morning but of course things like fried chicken kind of sabatoge the plan.
More importantly, this entire conversation reminded me of how quickly people make an assumption about you within the first seven seconds of meeting you. They determine whether you are healthy, wealthy, wise, approachable, inquisitive along with a whole host of other things.
We truly have to be careful about the message we send on a daily basis especially to children. When we eat anything, say anything, look anyway, get to places at anytime; we are send a message to our children and they believe us. The world believes us! They believe us even if that's not what we meant to say. The old adage goes, "I can't hear what you're saying for seeing what you're doing."
So take some time to reflect on the message that you are sending and make sure it is the same message that you want people to receive.

No comments:

Post a Comment